SERVICE ACADEMY NOMINATION PROCESS AND EVENTS UPDATE
Please note the changes in the process for submitting service academy nomination requests to my office.
New process beginning 2022:
- All nomination applications must be submitted online by November 1 at this link.
- Before you complete the nomination application you must review the application at this link and have all the necessary documents, letter of recommendations, test scores, etc. in the proper format and ready to submit. Once you open the application, you must complete it in its entirety.
- As a new addition, this year, you will be required to submit a personal video answering two questions you will find listed in the attached application above.
- If you have any questions about this process, please reach out to Sherrie.Mitchell@mail.house.
gov, (870) 203-0540.
SERVICE ACADEMY INTERVIEWS
I will no longer host in-person interviews as part of the nomination process but will choose the applicants based on their applications.
SERVICE ACADEMY NIGHT
Until further notice, I will no longer be hosting service academy nights. If you have any questions regarding my academy nomination processes, please reach out to Sherrie.Mitchell@mail.house.
SERVICE ACADEMY REQUIREMENTS
Each applicant for a nomination must meet the following eligibility requirements as of July 1st of the year of admission to an academy:
- You must be at least 17 years old, but not have passed your 23rd birthday.
- You must be a U.S. citizen.
- You must be unmarried, not pregnant, and without legal obligation to support children or other dependents.
- You must reside within the boundaries of the First Congressional District of Arkansas.
- You must possess good moral character. It is assumed good moral character exists unless there is evidence to demonstrate otherwise.
If you believe you meet the eligibility requirements to attend a service academy and would like to begin the process to seek my congressional nomination, please submit your application online by November 1st.
It is in your best interest to request a nomination through all sources available to you. I strongly recommended each candidate apply to both Senator John Boozman and Senator Tom Cotton’s office as well.
Open letter to potential service academy applicants:
I will only nominate first district students who meet or exceed our necessary requirements and who express a readiness to attend an academy should they receive an appointment.
Students who pass on appointments waste my nomination and keep subsequent first district students from pursuing their dreams at a U.S. service academy. I ask that you show commitment to your decision of seeking a congressional nomination and accept an academy appointment if offered.